One of the medical marvels of the modern world is the ability to perform the most complicated surgeries, which in many cases can save people’s lives or at the least, improve their quality of lives. Modern surgery can be performed by surgeons completing the operations by hand or through the use of robotics and other modern methods.
However, in the history of surgery, some of the biggest improvements have been in the areas of providing anesthesia for the patients, improving on the use of sutures to limit the loss of blood, improvements in combating infection and the use of medicine to control pain after the surgery. These developments have been crucial in the advancement of surgery over the years. With these key components, the success rate of the surgeries has been dramatically improved.
- A History of Surgery – useful information on the origins of surgery dating back to ancient Egypt.
- History of Surgery – brief overview of the history of surgery over time.
- History of Surgery Timeline – recounting of historic events in the history of surgery from 2200 B.C. until present day.
- History of Robotic Surgery – helpful resource on the use of robots in surgery.
- Surgical Equipment – information on the various types of equipment used during surgery.
- Historical Equipment – informative resource outlining the historic look at surgery and equipment.
- Greek and Roman Surgical Instruments – historical look at surgical equipment used in ancient Greece and Rome.
- Basic Surgical Equipment – a look at some of the basic equipment used during surgical proceedings.
- Surgical Instruments – information on various types of equipment used in surgery.
- Anesthesia Overview – a general look at how anesthesia plays an important role in medicine and surgery.
- Anesthesia – informative resource covering a number of topics pertaining to anesthesia.
- Definition – information and brief definition on what anesthesia is and how it works.
- Overview – types and uses of anesthesia are discussed in this informative resource.
- How Anesthesia Works – information on how it works and other related topics.
- Pain Management – general information on pain and pain management in medicine.
- Pain Management Association – professional group dedicated to helping patients manage post-operative pain.
- Pain Management Center – helpful resource covering a number of pain related topics.
- Pain and Symptom Management – useful information on managing pain.
- Pain – informative resource on pain and with suggestions on how to manage pain.
- Infection Control – resource covering many topics on infection and control.
- Infection Control – information from NY State Department of Health on controlling infection.
- Guidelines – collection of resources from the CDC containing guidelines to infection control.
- Infection Index – selection of infections and information on them.
- Hospital Infection Control – information on how hospitals are working to combat infection.